Monday 13 August 2007

Another busy day

Decided I'd better get the grass all cut this morning, because we are forecast a lot of bad weather the next couple of days. So having got that done, along with strimming with my new strimmer, and having cursed and sworn at that yet again, oh how I hate those sodding things. They do not, I repeat do not, auto feed the line. The line breaks when you hit a stone, or wire or anything other than a blade of grass, and it snaps off and you have to remove the spool and pull the bastard line out by hand. After having done this about 6 times in ten minutes, I went and got some line that is three times thicker and wound that on, and at least it only broke once. Anyway it was then lunchtime, and I decided that after all I would go and get my exhaust done in town. I phoned National and was quoted £130 for the back box, and £220 if it needed the complete system. I get tesco clubcard points though. Whoopee. So I thought I'd go to Kwik fit, who I'd already rung on Saturday morning and get another quote from them, they had said £185 for the lot, and I get 10% discount because of being insured through them. I got there, and the guy said he wouldn't even be able to get it on the ramp to look at it for an hour, then I would have to wait around and hour and a half to have it done because they have to get the exhaust sent to them. So I went next door to ATS. Well, what can I say. They were fantastic. The manager in the reception went out straight away, even though all their ramps appeared to be full, but there was one round the back, he put it up, had a look, and unfortunately it did need the entire system. I had thought as much but at least I could see for myself and they weren't stitching me up. He went back, looked it up, and it was £145, giving me a 30% discount, for the lot! He could have it done in just over an hour. So I was well chuffed. I think it would have cost me as much to get my local mechanic to do it frankly, if not more, and I wouldn't have been able to get it done until about Thursday I don't think.

Anyway, this gave me the opportunity to have a wander round Carmarthen to kill some time with Emma. I have lived in this area for over 13 years, and although I was aware of the ruins of the castle, I'd never been in that part of the town to take a close look. How ashamed am I! Took some photos with the Nokia as I didn't have the camera on me. Also went across the new footbridge that was opened last year, which was fun, it was a bit springy and wobbly, lol, but nice to do anyway. Emma was a bit hot and bothered and I guess we probably walked about three miles altogether. But I really enjoyed myself. We had a cake and a take-away tea and sat on a bench at the castle, it's been a lovely warm day.

Here is a little bit about the castle if you are interested in the history of it, there's lots of boards dotted around the place which tell you stuff about it -

"The ruined Norman castle overlooks the town and the River Tywi which was founded in the 11th century. Rebuilding in stone was fully completed in the 13th century. The curtain wall was added later in that century, and a gatehouse and south-west tower in the 14th century. It was badly damaged by Owain Glyndwr in the 15th century before being strengthened during the civil war. Most of the structure, apart from the gatehouse, was demolished in the 18th century. Carmarthen Castle was converted to use as a prison in the late 18th century.

Carmarthen Castle has undergone a restoration and consolidation program recent years. An excavation was undertaken outside the twin-towered gatehouse that represented the main entry into the castle from the town. The excavation revealed evidence of the bridge that originally crossed a wide defensive ditch that separated the gatehouse from Nott Square."









3 comments:

The Quacks of Life said...

aren't I the one who wanders around old buildings??

nice to read you got the car done ok!

Mary said...

You had a busy day. We went for a walk this morning as we are expecting bad weather for the next few days

oldcrow61 said...

Great to hear that you got your car fixed. I see the little "Queen" is in her rightful place on the castle wall, lol.